Saturday 10 October 2015

Haverty, Viardot and rivals in print


I am slowly coming round to the view that our boy may have been a bit full of himself. I do not think Nathaniel suffered from lack of self-belief.  Do these sound like the words of a man diffident about offering his own opinions?
"I had read of Toledo being in possession of the finest church in Spain,—and that in the book of a tourist, whose visit to this town follows immediately that to Seville. Begging pardon of the clever and entertaining writer to whom I allude, the Cathedral of Toledo strikes me as far from being the finest in Spain; nor would it be the finest in France, nor in England, nor in other countries that might be enumerated, could it be transported to either."

So take that, Martin Haverty, you, you - tourist!  Because it was Martin Haverty, an Irish journalist, who Nathaniel here claims had recklessly and foolishly preferred the Cathedral of Toledo to that of Seville: and what's more he compounded the offence by saying so in print in a book about his travels in Spain - a year or two earlier.

Thus annoyingly pipping our boy at the post, travel-writing-about-Spain-wise.

All of which makes me wonder, was Nathaniel consulting Haverty's book as he went on his own tour? Or did he read it afterwards, snorting contemptuously at its opinions? Possibly ripping out pages, screwing them into balls and slam-dunking them into a wastepaper basket?

Or did Haverty's book in fact give him the bright idea of turning his letters to Mrs C-----r and his assorted Spanish sketches into solid cash?

Sadly I don't know.  All I know is, he had clearly read the "clever and entertaining" Haverty's book, otherwise he wouldn't have patronised its judgment quite so...so..patronising-gittishly.

(You can read about Haverty here, and his book Wanderings in Spain is available free as an e-text in Google books.)

Indeed, so eager is Nathaniel here to show his opinion on cathedrals is better than anyone else's in the world  that he actually misrepresents what the harmless Haverty wrote. In fact it was:
"I shall proceed at once to enumerate the principal curiosities of Seville, and begin with the Cathedral, one of the finest in the world, and unrivalled by any one in Spain, except by that of Toledo."
See, Nathaniel?  See what he's saying there?  Haverty is extolling the cathedral of Seville.. Seville is the one he considers - as you yourself do - to be among the finest in the world: and not Toledo, which he merely thinks is the only other one in Spain that is even close.

Calm down, dear.

As for Viardot and his input in Nathaniel's work, I shall save it for another post.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Slam! Just found your blog yesterday and haven't read all the posts yet, but am most interested! I am a descendent of Nathaniel Wells of Piercefield and his first wife Harriet Este. I know a fair amount about Nathaniel, but his seemingly endless progeny (22 or so) defeated me, though I was certainly aware of Nathaniel Armstrong and his book. Couple of questions for you: in your first entry you indicated NA would have been considered black. Do you have any further info on this? Certainly Nathaniel Sr was black in appearance, for all he had a white father. NA's mother was definitely white and most researchers I've spoken with seem to feel the children would have had a range of skin colours. In particular, many of the daughters did not marry and I've seen it conjectured that they may have been darker skinned than, say, my G2GM -- who did marry -- was. Also, wondering if you might have any intel on NA's middle name; long story as to why I am interested in that...suffice to say Armstrong is not a family name on either side. Finally -- why your interest in NA? Are you by chance a relative? Looking forward to hearing back. Lesley Wood, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord, this is exciting! First nobody in the entire world reads my blog, and then I get a contact who's actually a Wells descendant!

    Anyway, to answer your first question: the bit about NAW being black I took from the DNB article on his father. His entry said:

    'Of the children of his first marriage, Nathaniel Armstrong Wells (1806–1846), who was also described as black, became an author and lived for part of his time at Caen, Normandy...'

    It does seem pretty strange that a man who after all was (at least) three-quarters European in descent would strike anyone as just 'black', and that NAW could apparently be so described I can only attribute to hardening racial attitudes in 19th century England. Some feature of his appearance may have indicated some African ancestry, and perhaps that was enough for him to be labelled.

    As to the second question - sorry, I have no idea why he was called Armstrong. I was privately theorising it was a family name, perhaps on his mother's side, but you've just blown that out of the water. A godfather perhaps? There were numerous Armstrongs in the West Indies and at least two on St Kitts, but as Nathaniel Wells Snr. left the island at a young age and apparently never returned, I don't know if they signify.

    Third question: I slowly became interested in the 19th c. history of black British people because my local library made it possible to browse back copies of The Times online, free; and while doing this my attention was caught by the intriguing story of a black servant. Once you start to look, other stories appear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Slam I am having a terrible time getting my comments back to you to publish – they keep vanishing. Third try now...
    First, I must tell you how very much I have enjoyed reading your posts. I love how you are recreating NAW’s personality and character by reading between the lines of his book. Makes him completely come alive! I also see from the quotes you’ve published that the book’s style is actually fairly readable. I downloaded it years ago and will have to give it a try.
    The article you mention is not one I have come across. Could you give me more info?
    Genes are funny things. Knowledge of Nathaniel Wells – or, at least, his name; there were family legends of a wealthy “landed” ancestory in Wales – was gone by my grandfather’s time. But three of my aunts had the most amazingly bushy, thick, curly hair! And no one could figure out where it had come from...
    I have been fortunate to spend time with Ann Rainsbury, who is a prominent Nathaniel Wells researcher. She is curator of Chepstow museum (located in the former home of my G2GF, who was one of Nathaniel’s sons in law). In 2007, she took me on a 7 hour tour of the Piercefield grounds and the ruins. Absolutely unforgettable. Most of what I know about Nathaniel came to me from Ann.
    I imagine that you traced NAW’s widow and child through to their deaths (as I quickly did myself yesterday, on ancestry.) Georgiana did die with a nice little nest egg, when you convert it to today’s dollars. I spend some time with Nathaniel Sr.’s will; the clerical writing makes it hard to decipher but I think that the shares of his estate were set out so that if a child predeceased Nathaniel, the share went to any living grandchildren. I do know that is how it worked for my G2GM’s children (she died of scarlet fever aged 27), as that particular passage is very easy to decipher.
    Looking forward to more posts! Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lesley, thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm not very computer-savvy and only have a vague idea of what a blog is meant to be. I started this as a way of getting a bit deeper into the PAoS. I thought it would be a good place to not down bits of research, plus guesses and speculation of course.

    Yes, I downloaded N Snr's will too but it was fairly lengthy :( and though I got the bit about bequests I was still guessing that relations between widow and father-in-law weren't close. I still find it odd that Georgiana was working. Or maybe I have too stereotyped a view of Victorian practices.

    Yes I think it's true that, before the internet made genealogical research so much easier, most of us knew no more of family history than our grandparents could tell us. I saw a webpage once dedicated to the (biracial) Victorian Pre-Raphaelite model Fanny Eaton, and in the comments were messages from two of her descendants - both unknown to each other. And yet Fanny Eaton only died in 1924. I remember one descendant was married to a Nigerian and quite surprised to find her children weren't the first mixed-race members of her family.

    The article I quoted from is from is this:
    J. A. H. Evans, ‘Wells, Nathaniel (1779–1852)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, Jan 2008 [http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/74450, accessed 21 Oct 2015]

    In the sources given underneath though I couldn't see any of a date late enough to refer to the adult NAW.

    Do you think Anne Rainsbury would mind if I contacted her? She might be able to offer insights - or corrections:))

    ReplyDelete